Tuesday, April 5, 2011

We're Back!


We took a bit of a break, first because I had nothing to write, and then because I could not be inspired to write.  The Great Tohoku Earthquake (followed by the massive Tsunami that changed hundreds of thousands of people's lives forever) shook my world as well as Japan.  I will not go into detail about myself, since I did not set this blog up to be a diary for myself, but it is suffice to say that I speak Japanese, I lived in Japan for a period of time before I was married, and I have many Japanese friends.  I dream of one day returning there with my family to share the land and the culture that I love with my children. 

Watching the footage of the Tsunami sweeping through the towns of Tohoku was heart-rending for me.  The streets looked familiar - they could have been a couple of blocks over from where I lived.  The suffering of the people is beyond my comprehension, and when I think about the fact that mothers lost children and children lost parents, I feel sick.  I can't even bring myself to think about all of the animals that are searching for their families (I have 3 dogs, and they were my babies before I had babies), and the nuclear disaster which has gotten so much alarmist press over here but which continues to ruin the livelihoods of Japanese farmers over there.  I can't really articulate these feelings, and actually, I don't want to.  But it has been very difficult for me to write about the insignificant issues and complications of parenting while there are parents out there searching for their babies. 

Please click the following link to visit the website of The American Red Cross and donate what you can afford to give to help the people of Japan.  The disaster isn't over the moment it ceases to be 24-hour news.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment