Monday, February 7, 2011

When a Mom attempts to blog...

This is my first attempt at blogging, and my very first post on my new blog! A dear friend suggested that I create a blog because she kept coming to me for advice about her new baby, and she found my responses overly-thorough (and perhaps long-winded) but hopefully helpful. At first, I dismissed the idea because I have always considered blogs to be cries for attention from people who write updates such as "I had cereal for breakfast" or "Great party last night!" But then, after she had planted the idea, I began to notice that several of my favorite parenting-advice sites are actually blogs, and extremely helpful! So I began thinking that perhaps my notions of blogs are out of date, or at least limited.  My hope is that I will create a blog that other mothers (and fathers) can visit and learn something new - or at least empathize with my attempts to parent progressively!

When I became a mother, I had not really done any research about parenting; I had worked for four years in a daycare, with children ages 0-4, and I thought I knew what I was getting into. Actually becoming a mother came as a significant shock, and I had a lot of growing up to do in a short period of time. I began researching only after my son was born, but parenting is a learning process for even the most informed and realistic parents, and that is what this blog is about. I do not adhere to any particular parenting philosophy (I probably relate the closest to the Attachment Parenting movement, but we diverge in several important areas).  Instead, I believe in parenting practically - and sometimes it feels like I'm practically a parent!

A little bit about me: I married my high-school sweetheart right after graduate school, and moved away from family for his work (although we still live within a day's drive from our parents, and my mother visits frequently to help out). I am in my late 20s, a stay-at-home mom to a the most beautiful 2-year-old boy (A) and the most darling infant girl (S), as well as a house full of pets. Thanks very much for taking the time to read this, and I hope to post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment